[erlang-questions] DRY principle and the syntax inconsistency in fun vs. vanilla functions

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Fri May 20 00:49:51 CEST 2011

>  People already complain that Erlang's syntax is too ugly or complex;

I've always found this complaint to be rather quibble.

Programmers have brains that are extremely well adjusted to parsing new
syntax. This is one thing all programmers are inherently good at. Yet when
asked to put this skill towards learning a new language, they complain.
"No" they say, "give me a syntax I'm already familiar with. Why are you
trying to be different?" they ask.

I learned Erlang by reading Joe's book. Within half an hour I wasn't
seeing the syntax anymore. My brain, quickly made the necessary mental
mappings. I strongly believe this to be the case with all programmers when
encountering an unfamiliar syntax -- rapid adjustment with relatively
little effort.

Other professions are not so lucky. I once witnessed two non-programmers
trying to learn HTML at the same time. One a medical doctor, the other a
graphic designer. Both got the concepts down very quickly (links, images,
tables, etc), but both really struggled with syntax. "How can one possibly
read this?" they kept asking.

Yet most programmers learn HTML/XML syntax in a matter of minutes while
watching TV. Gut give them Erlang and they groan and complain loudly.

IMHO, complaints about Erlang's syntax being "too weird" are completely
unwarranted. A programmer could learn a language written using Klingon
symbols in a unbelievably short period of time. Just look at all those
non-English speakers who program in languages heavily biased towards
English. And many of them come from languages using non-latin scripts!!!

- Edmond -

PS: The exception is Lisp. All those parentheses are just obfuscating :)