[erlang-questions] DRY principle and the syntax inconsistency in fun vs. vanilla functions

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Wed May 18 23:47:45 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Parnell Springmeyer <ixmatus@REDACTED>wrote:

> Sorry, but Erlang doesn't *need* a better chance of survival. This
> language is not just growing, it's booming. Changing core language
> features that are solid, well thought out, and non-harmful (in other
> words, they are, FEATURES) to make it more "adoptable" is a lot like
> someone saying, "you have to quit that quirky smile so other people will
> like you more."

Languages survive forever once they get to the point where

   1) legacy applications in the language still earn money
   2) it costs more to convert to a new language than maintain the
        existing app in the old language

Erlang reached this point, many years ago.

Right now Erlang companies have a commercial advantage
over non-erlang companies and so there is not much point in
trying to spread the language further - you just loose your commercial
advantage.

/Joe