[erlang-questions] error_logger and rpc

Jamie Brandon jamie@REDACTED
Sat May 14 10:58:38 CEST 2011

I encountered some confusing interactions between error_logger and
rpc. My understanding is that rpc:call/4 executes the function on the
remote node and any side effects happen on the remote node. However
I'm finding that logs are only being handled on the local node eg

jamie@REDACTED:~/retex$ erl -sname A
Erlang R14B02 (erts-5.8.3) [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [rq:4]
[async-threads:0] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.8.3  (abort with ^G)
(A@REDACTED)1> rpc:call('B@REDACTED', error_logger, info_report, [[test]]).

=INFO REPORT==== 14-May-2011::16:50:11 ===
    test
** at node B@REDACTED **
ok

In this example nothing is shown on node B. In my case node B is a
server which logs reports to disk and A is a short-lived control
script ( https://github.com/jamii/retex/blob/master/control ) so these
logs are being lost.

I can't find this behavior documented anywhere. Can somebody explain it?

Thanks

Jamie