[erlang-questions] Best practices for handling invalid / unexpected messages

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Fri May 13 22:20:42 CEST 2011

No easy answer:

During development:

    Crash loudly - print lots of information about why you crashed
    do init:stop() or erlang:halt() *force* the programmer to fix the code

During production

    Crash silently - put lots of error in the log and send rude email to
programmer
    if you can recover do so. If you cannot recover tell the user as
politely as possible.
    *never* present the user with internal error message (this is most
unprofessional)

What you do with an error thus depends upon the context where it occurs -
basically
tell the programmer the truth and give them all the info needed to fix the
error, while
apologizing to the end user ... send an email to the project manager telling
the code
is broken if you want the programmer to fix it :-)

/Joe