[erlang-questions] funs versus code loading

Daniel Dormont dan@REDACTED
Fri May 13 06:44:51 CEST 2011

I'm far from an expert, but I repeated your test just for fun on R12B and
got the same result. I did a few other tests as well.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, changing "loop()" to "foo:loop()" produced the same
result in test 1 and an error {undef,[{foo,loop,[]}]} in test 2. That is,
the old code seems to be fully discarded in that case.

Maybe more surprisingly, loading the code for a third time in test 1 results
in an error "=ERROR REPORT==== 13-May-2011::00:13:18 ===
{error,not_purged}"

However, using the shell command l/1 instead of code:load_file/1 avoids this
error. I'll leave it to the experts to tell us why :)

dan