[erlang-questions] hmac sha256 erlang

Steve Davis steven.charles.davis@REDACTED
Mon May 9 00:19:40 CEST 2011

I had RTFM before making that suggestion! However, with my interest
mildly piqued by this, I checked a little further, adding a "manual
append" comparison just for good measure:

test(Num) ->
	T0 = funtime(fun lcopy/0, Num),
	T1 = funtime(fun bcopy/0, Num),
	T2 = funtime(fun ccopy/0, Num),
	{T0, T1, T2}.
lcopy() ->
	list_to_binary(lists:duplicate(128, 16#36)).
bcopy() ->
	binary:copy(<<16#36>>, 128).
ccopy() ->
	ccopy(<<16#36>>, 128).
ccopy(Bin, Count) when Count > 0 ->
	ccopy(<<Bin/binary, 16#36>>, Count - 1);
ccopy(Bin, 0) ->
	Bin.

funtime(F, Repeats) ->
	{A1, B1, C1} = erlang:now(),
     exec_fun(F, Repeats),
	{A2, B2, C2} = erlang:now(),
	((A2-A1) * 1000000 + (B2-B1)) * 1000 + (C2-C1) / 1000.

exec_fun(_, 0) ->
	ok;
exec_fun(F, Count) ->
	F(),
	exec_fun(F, Count - 1).

1> copier:test(10000).
{265.0,62.999,280.999}

Not really any kind of formal test but it does seem to confirm the
choice/advice.

/s

On 5/8/2011 4:49 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
 > binary:copy/2 is more useful for this purpose.
 >
 > On Sunday, May 8, 2011, Robert Virding
 > <robert.virding@REDACTED>  wrote:
 >> In the docs for binary:copy it says:
 >>
 >> "This function will always create a new binary, even if N = 1. By
using copy/1 on a binary referencing a larger binary, one might free up
the larger binary for garbage collection."