[erlang-questions] QLC question

Chris Hicks silent_vendetta@REDACTED
Mon May 2 22:39:21 CEST 2011

Makes sense, I'll certainly be playing around with it a lot more, learning via failure and all that. I ended up figuring out how to what I was actually working towards but I'd like to open myself to criticism and see if there is anything about the QLC that could be improved. Here is the code:
mnesia:activity(transaction, fun(Nickname) -> qlc:eval(qlc:q([Exists || {A, B, C, D} <- mnesia:table(emuf_accounts), Exists = ((emuf_crypt:decrypt(D))#account_data.nickname == Nickname)])) end, [N])
Now, the emuf_decrypt call is to my own module/function which handles the encrypting/decrypting of my data, so that I'm not storing any user account information in the open (except, of course, the Username but this should be plenty secure in my case). The data has to be decrypted each time it is read, of course.
Is this a naive solution? Is there anything about it that might slowdown the query or is there just a plain more efficient way of doing it?
Chris Hicks.
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] QLC question
From: ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 22:11:51 +0200
CC: erlang-questions@REDACTED
To: silent_vendetta@REDACTED

If you have a record within a record, you can simply use pattern matching:
1> rd(data, {id, nick}).data2> rd(wrapper, {id, data}).wrapper
3> L = [#wrapper{id=1,data=#data{id=1}}, #wrapper{id=2,data=#data{id=2,nick=n}}].[#wrapper{id = 1,data = #data{id = 1,nick = undefined}}, #wrapper{id = 2,data = #data{id = 2,nick = n}}]
4> qlc:e(qlc:q([W || #wrapper{data = #data{nick = N}} = W <- L, N =/= undefined])).[#wrapper{id = 2,data = #data{id = 2,nick = n}}]
If this becomes to hairy, you can use a guard function which does deep inspection on the record. In LCs, a guard function can be any Erlang function.
A generator in QLC must either be a list, or a special QLC generator (e.g. what you get as a return value from qlc:q/1 or mnesia:table/1). In this particular case, QLC seems to complain already in the query analysis stage, as it doesn't like the fact that a dynamic variable is assumed to be a valid generator.
BR,Ulf W