[erlang-questions] Configuring sasl to write rb-compatible logs

Gleb Peregud gleber.p@REDACTED
Thu Mar 31 20:40:31 CEST 2011

Hi

I'm digging into using rb for log viewing. As far as I understood from
documentation, some blogs and other emails here it is enough to define
the following parameters in the sasl application's config:

error_logger_mf_dir
error_logger_mf_maxbytes
error_logger_mf_max_files

Here's an output of my test:

gleber@REDACTED:~/tmp/test$ ls
rb.config  test.sh

gleber@REDACTED:~/tmp/test$ cat rb.config
[
 {sasl, [
         {error_logger_mf_dir, "."},
         {error_logger_mf_maxbytes, 1024},
         {error_logger_mf_max_files, 10}
        ]
 }
].

gleber@REDACTED:~/tmp/test$ cat test.sh
#!/bin/sh

exec erl -sname test \
    -config rb \
    -boot start_sasl

gleber@REDACTED:~/tmp/test$ ./test.sh
Erlang R14A (erts-5.8) [source] [smp:2:2] [rq:2] [async-threads:0]
[kernel-poll:false]

=PROGRESS REPORT==== 31-Mar-2011::20:36:09 ===
          supervisor: {local,sasl_safe_sup}
             started: [{pid,<0.41.0>},
                       {name,alarm_handler},
                       {mfargs,{alarm_handler,start_link,[]}},
                       {restart_type,permanent},
                       {shutdown,2000},
                       {child_type,worker}]

=PROGRESS REPORT==== 31-Mar-2011::20:36:09 ===
          supervisor: {local,sasl_safe_sup}
             started: [{pid,<0.42.0>},
                       {name,overload},
                       {mfargs,{overload,start_link,[]}},
                       {restart_type,permanent},
                       {shutdown,2000},
                       {child_type,worker}]

=PROGRESS REPORT==== 31-Mar-2011::20:36:09 ===
          supervisor: {local,sasl_sup}
             started: [{pid,<0.40.0>},
                       {name,sasl_safe_sup},
                       {mfargs,
                           {supervisor,start_link,
                               [{local,sasl_safe_sup},sasl,safe]}},
                       {restart_type,permanent},
                       {shutdown,infinity},
                       {child_type,supervisor}]

=PROGRESS REPORT==== 31-Mar-2011::20:36:09 ===
          supervisor: {local,sasl_sup}
             started: [{pid,<0.43.0>},
                       {name,release_handler},
                       {mfargs,{release_handler,start_link,[]}},
                       {restart_type,permanent},
                       {shutdown,2000},
                       {child_type,worker}]

=PROGRESS REPORT==== 31-Mar-2011::20:36:09 ===
         application: sasl
          started_at: test@REDACTED
Eshell V5.8  (abort with ^G)
(test@REDACTED)1> rb:start().
{error,{"cannot read the index file",
        {child,undefined,rb_server,
               {rb,start_link,[[]]},
               temporary,brutal_kill,worker,
               [rb]}}}
(test@REDACTED)2>
=CRASH REPORT==== 31-Mar-2011::20:36:11 ===
  crasher:
    initial call: rb:init/1
    pid: <0.49.0>
    registered_name: []
    exception exit: "cannot read the index file"
      in function  gen_server:init_it/6
    ancestors: [sasl_sup,<0.38.0>]
    messages: []
    links: [<0.39.0>]
    dictionary: []
    trap_exit: true
    status: running
    heap_size: 233
    stack_size: 24
    reductions: 266
  neighbours:

(test@REDACTED)2> q().
ok
(test@REDACTED)3>

gleber@REDACTED:~/tmp/test$ ls
rb.config  test.sh

Am I missing something in the configuration of sasl or is there
anything else I have to do to make sasl attach error_logger_mf_h to
error logger?

Best,
Gleb Peregud