[erlang-questions] Re: erl_driver - is it safe to call driver_output directly by an async thread?

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Wed Mar 30 19:15:53 CEST 2011

On 30 March 2011 17:15, Joseph Wayne Norton <norton@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a question regarding erl_driver and the async thread pool.
>
> Is it safe to call driver_output directly by an async thread?

All the erl_driver functions are documented as "thread-safe",
sometimes with the caveat "when the emulator with SMP support is
used." Unless it's stated in the docs, it's probably not safe to call
them from an async thread without explicit synchronisation. I'm sure
one of the OTP team will dive in and say if that assumption is wrong.