[erlang-questions] Nested Supervisors

Chris Wilson wilsoncj1@REDACTED
Wed Mar 30 05:20:54 CEST 2011

I'm looking for some examples on starting more than one level of supervisors
in a supervision tree.  Almost everything I've seen has been one supervisor
and many workers and I've not seen any documentation or examples on how I
might start multiple supervisors within one supervision tree.

I'm trying to build a structure similar to what is below, a simple
monitoring application to track events in a typical network environment
within a given site.  A site level supervisor handles N number of L3
networks and their workers and spawns N number of supervisors for VLANs in a
given MST instance.  This example is slightly contrived in that I "could"
flatten this structure out, but I'm looking to do other things with those
vlan workers and may go another level deeper.

                                      vlan_monitor_worker
                                     /
                       vlan801_sup
                     /