[erlang-questions] counter.erl example from "Concurrent Programming in ERLANG" - debugging

Wes James comptekki@REDACTED
Tue Mar 15 05:27:43 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Alain O'Dea <alain.odea@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi Wes:

Hi Alain:

> On 2011-03-14, at 19:03, Wes James <comptekki@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> I run the counter.erl in the shell - Pid=counter:start().  Then ran
> counter:value(Pid) - returns 0.  I wanted to see how this works in the
> debugger so I run (after starting new shell or f() ):
<snip>

> Out of curiosity, why are you using that
> particular book?  Erlang and its tools may have changed enough to break it's
> examples.

Well about March of 2010 I found Erlang and I checked the University
library here and they had this book and I checked it out.  I ordered a
copy from amazon and hope to get a few signatures next week at the SF
Factory :)  It's old, but the basics probably still hold.  There might
be a general issue with debugging spawns/receives, etc.  Hopefully
I'll have more input by tomorrow from some folks over the sea :)

> Much more current resources are available:
> Frédéric Trottier-Hébert's Learn You Some Erlang for Great Good:
> http://learnyousomeerlang.com/

I think I've been there a few times.

> Joe Armstrong's Programming Erlang, Software for a Concurrent World:
> http://pragprog.com/titles/jaerlang/programming-erlang

Ordered it a couple of weeks ago and got it last week :)

> Martin Logan, Richard Carlsson and Eric Merritt's Erlang and OTP in Action:
> http://www.manning.com/logan/
>
> Francesco Cesarini and Simon Thompson's Erlang Programming:
> http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596518189

I've seen these on the erlang.org side panel and might look in to them too.

thx for the tips.

-wes