[erlang-questions] Mnesia Query Performance

Dan Gudmundsson dgud@REDACTED
Thu Mar 10 21:33:50 CET 2011

A separate transaction for each read will have much more overhead.

Much of the overhead in the transaction is grabbing locks, if you grab
a table lock first
then each read (or write if write-locked) can skip taking a lock.

The quadratic behaviour comes from the implementation, mnesia stores
the grabbed locks
in a ets bag table. Probably using the table as key, which causes the
longer and longer insertion time
for each lock that is taken on the same table*.
This shouldn't be a "real" problem because if you access so many
records from the same table
you should grab a table lock instead of taking a lock per record.

/Dan
* I guess I don't have the code on my windows machine at home.