[erlang-questions] Disallowing gen_server:handle_cast() for a while?

Attila Rajmund Nohl attila.r.nohl@REDACTED
Thu Mar 3 16:02:20 CET 2011

2011/3/3, Koener Antoine <antoine.koener@REDACTED>:

> On Mar 3, 2011, at 10:57 , Attila Rajmund Nohl wrote:
>
>> 2011/3/2, Nav <orionqwest@REDACTED>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to stop handle_cast(..) being called (i.e. stop
>>> gen_server from reading data from queue) for a while?
>>>
>>> I am trying to implement a logic, while processing, gen_server should
>>> not accept any messages and let messages stay in its queue. (Other
>>> processes can still send messages using gen_server:cast())
>>
>> Why not do this processing in a handle_info? Trigger the calling of
>> the handle_info call by sending a message to the gen_server.
>>

> Was thinking about something like this:

[...]
> handle_cast(_Any, #state{skip=true} = State) ->
> 	{noreply, State};

This way the "let messages stay in its queue" property would not hold,
because this clause would just throw away any messages received during
the "lock down" state.