[erlang-questions] Why do people keep rebar binary in repos ?

Anthony Molinaro anthonym@REDACTED
Wed Mar 2 08:01:47 CET 2011

One thing which might help adoption by systems packagers (ie, debian, ubuntu,
redhat, epel) is versioned releases.  The only tag right now on github is
'RELEASE-1' from 2009.  And you can download 'rebar' then ask it for it's
version but as I only see one rebar that either means, it doesn't change,
so I should build from source, or it changes frequently but is always
named the same thing (at which point I have no way to get back to an old
version if I need to).  For my current RPM I use at work, I
checked out on a particular day, and used the day as my version number.
I also noted the id of the last commit and put that into my scripts
which recreate the RPM, so in case I ever need to rebuild it, I know
where I started.

Better would be if some form of semantic versioning were adopted and
things tagged, and the version as part of the download.  That way I could
see downloads like 'rebar-1.0.2', or 'rebar-1.5.0'.  Once it's downloaded
I can easily symlink 'rebar' to the appropriate version (or have multiple
versions installed if I needed to).

Anyway, I realize software is never "done", but it is useful for the
different packagers if lines are drawn in the sand every so often.

-Anthony