[erlang-questions] newbie web-development advice / guidance

Banibrata Dutta banibrata.dutta@REDACTED
Fri Jul 29 15:01:32 CEST 2011

Thanks @Marc, for taking time to reply this this mail.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Marc Worrell <marc@REDACTED> wrote:

> It mostly depends on what kind of web development you want to do.
>
> Is it more of a mobile application than a publishing web site?

One of the avatars in likely to be a mobile application, but it is neither
the first one, nor the only one.
However, I am not sure I can classify it as a general publishing site, i.e.
same content isn't viewed by several people, rather content uploaded
'somehow' (many ways, many sources) is visible only to the user. What the
user can view/has viewed, must be held in tight secrecy. Even admins
shouldn't be able to view the content or what content users viewed. User can
(in-frequently) share some of the content with others, but I'd say that less
than 0.1% of the content (figuratively speaking).

Does is have specific authentication schemes?
> Etc. Etc.

Honestly, haven't given this enough thought. One of the requirements is to
ensure privacy of user data, and that of the interaction. I'm yet to figure
out the "how" part.

> When your project involves a "normal" dynamic website with publishing,
> users, some interaction etc. then Zotonic might be a good fit.
> At least it will prevent you re-inventing quite some wheels.  It also uses
> webmachine, so adding your own specific REST interface should be easy.

Zotonic seemed very interesting, based on a superficial read of the site (I
admit, haven't downloaded or tried it), but what seemed a bit intimidating
from a newbie standpoint was that I couldn't figure out anything in
documentation (s.a. a tutorial) on how to
not-use-Zotonic-as-a-CMS-but-as-a-framework. For instance how to write an
app that leverage some framework-features of Zotonic, but is largely a REST
application. I can understand that such usecase may not the priority for the
Zotonic team at the moment.

When your project is really more backend like and not using templates (think
> of the backend for a mobile app) then it is better to make a server with
> Webmachine (and whatnot) and use Javascript on the user agent (or a native
> implementation).

If the initial access mechanism to the service/application is desktop
browser based is there anything that makes the jQuery  + JSON + RESTful
backend, harder, less suitable, higher complexity, lower performance,
difficult to scale (or any other foreseeable challenges), compared to the
template based approach ?

regards,
Banibrata
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdutta