[erlang-questions] trouble with erlang or erlang is a ghetto

Scott Lystig Fritchie fritchie@REDACTED
Thu Jul 28 19:45:50 CEST 2011

Ulf Wiger <ulf.wiger@REDACTED> wrote:

uw> Actually, these changes in R14B01 are relevant:

uw> [...]

uw> OTP-8912 The distribution buffer busy limit can now be configured at
uw> system startup. For more information see the documentation of the
uw> erl +zdbbl command line flag. (Thanks to Scott Lystig Fritchie)

I would be quite interested to hear if others have used that flag and
what values have been helpful or unhelpful.  Since I moved to Basho, I
haven't been able to get updates "from the field" about how my Former
Employer has been using it.  (Or they've told me and I've forgotten
about it.)  Perhaps one of my former colleagues lurking here on the list
could mention something?

It would also be quite interesting to know if R14's net_kernel can still
be deadlocked.  (I'd submitted a patch for R13 to fix a nasty one, and
the OTP folks reworked it a bit for inclusion into R14.)

The rpc server deadlock ... ouch.  One trick for the net_kernel patch
was to spawn a new process to send the reply: if that short-lived
process blocked on a busy TCP port, at least the main server wouldn't be
blocked.

-Scott