[erlang-questions] Funargs: Ruby-like blocks for Erlang

Amy Lear octopusfluff@REDACTED
Fri Jul 22 06:12:52 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Tony Arcieri <tony.arcieri@REDACTED> wrote:
> I'd also ask what you feel about the people who responded to this thread who
> find the Erlang fun syntax awkward. I certainly find it awkward.

Sure, it's awkward. So are records. There's awkward stuff in lots of languages.

The key here is, from my (and possibly others') perspective your
suggestion isn't less awkward, or more readable, or enable constructs
that were previously difficult, cumbersome, or impossible.

When you re-approach it, try to determine what exactly you gain for
the effort of changing a well-established syntax. If it doesn't
actually let anyone do anything new, it's likely to meet quite a bit
of resistance.