[erlang-questions] Is Erlang a good tool for this particular project?

Joel Meyer joel.meyer@REDACTED
Wed Jul 13 20:03:08 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 7:16 AM, Matthew Hillsborough <
matthew.hillsborough@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> Thanks for posting links to this. Surprised Joe A. did not mention it in
> his post, it has him listed as an author. :)
>
> Just from a quick glimpse, this appears to be using MochiWeb, which is
> completely HTTP based. I am not entirely sure if that's the route I am
> looking to go, unless I am overlooking something here. With that said, there
> are probably parts of this code I can pick out and re-use in a pure TCP
> socket implementation (if this is indeed purely HTTP, which I suspect it
> might be).
>
> Would love to hear I am wrong though so I do not need to reinvent the
> wheel.
>
> Thank you and happy hacking -

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you wouldn't use thrift or protocol
buffers? Even if you don't use their RPC mechanisms, you could use one of
those as the serialized form for message passing (over plain sockets, if you
so desire). I think a binary serialization format will still be more compact
than JSON and faster to deserialize as well.

Cheers,
Joel