[erlang-questions] Is Erlang a good tool for this particular project?

Matthew Hillsborough matthew.hillsborough@REDACTED
Wed Jul 13 14:42:27 CEST 2011

Hi Ale and everyone else who replied,

That's exactly the point, I don't think HTTP is necessary at all! There is
the overhead of sending extraneous HTTP headers over the wire. All of those
additional bits take additional CPU time and bandwidth (on a mobile device
with limited CPU and even more limited bandwidth!). I see absolutely no need
for sending HTTP headers and parsing them from the response for this,
particularly because I am not building a web browser based application. I
have access to C/C++/Objective-C (on iOS) and Java (on Android) and these
are perfectly capable of working with TCP sockets. A friend of mine
suggested that I just pass messages to the server as JSON using a prefixed
header that specifies the length of the message. That would be it! Simple
and compact.

I just wanted to validate the idea and see if others thing I'll run into too
many edge cases uses TCP sockets via an RPC type server to build this
server/client architecture out. I want to really make it reusable so all of
my mobile products can use it.

Loving all the advice coming in! Thanks all.

Matthew.