[erlang-questions] Ways to get started

pmacgown@REDACTED pmacgown@REDACTED
Mon Jul 11 19:41:09 CEST 2011

The biggest problem that I am running into is that my Unix sys admin experience 10+ years ago doesn't help much.  Using Git, Rebar, and even make is a steep hill for me to travel.  I've been through numerous tutorials and documentation and there is this massive body of knowledge that I just don't have, or these tutorials just assume you know .

I get Erlang. That's the easy part.  It's just the underlying development structure and environment that gets in my way.

Is there a real 101 that can give me a leg up?  Really basic questions like:

How do I get Erlang from github?  Where do I put it once I get it?  How does rebar fit into this picture?  What does a development cycle look like using these tools?

Really Really basic stuff.

--Peter

----- Original Message -----

From: "Garrett Smith" <g@REDACTED>
To: "Isaac Sanders" <isaacbfsanders@REDACTED>
Cc: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 12:59:09 PM
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Ways to get started

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 7:18 AM, Isaac Sanders <isaacbfsanders@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hello all! I am a rubyist looking for more information on erlang, and I was
> hoping to find some resources... If you would be so kind as to let me know
> any that have helped you.

In addition to the books and the online resources mentioned...

I find it helps to pick a project that you'd be comfortable solving in
another language, then tackle it in Erlang. Solve mini problems as you
go. Ask questions here.

I find http://erldocs.com/ helpful as a reference.

Garrett

P.S. Come to think of it, I don't know if
http://www.erlang.org/doc.html was mentioned. None of the books are a
substitute for that.