[erlang-questions] Project for erlang beginers

Alain O'Dea alain.odea@REDACTED
Sat Jan 22 22:36:17 CET 2011

On 2011-01-22, at 13:38, shk <kuleshovmail@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm erlang beginner programmer. The best theory it is practice. Ant that's i
> start new project for myself and maybe other erlang beginners. I want to
> write pop3/smtp server in erlang to increase my skills in erlang and i want
> to invite to take part in development/testing erlang beginner programmers as
> i to take more experience.
>
> The project -  https://github.com/onlyshk/epmail epmail .
>
> Now i implemet simple connection to the pop3 server and pop3 command
> parsing. Now i make mail store. Now it'll be in Maildir format, but then
> i'll plan to add supporting some db for mail storage. I think we together
> can to make cool and usefull project.
>
> For erlang professional i want to say not strongly scold my code :) I learn
> erlang about month, but i constantly improve my erlang knowledge. I shall be
> very glad to criticism my code.
>
> In general who are interested, please feel free to join at project.
>
> Thank you.

Implementing protocol parsing and servers for these protocols is a very good approach to learning Erlang.  I think you will get great insight through this process.

SMTP may already well-supported by several third-party Erlang applications,  but the insights you gain in building your implementation will be very useful to improve or even replace the existing libraries.  So keep at it :)

I look forward to seeing your project grow and I wish you a happy coding experience along the way :)