mnesia memory usage on 32 and 64 bits machines

franz fangee@REDACTED
Fri Jan 21 10:52:47 CET 2011

I admit I was tempted by the 32-bits architecture. As I'm developing a
mnesia-centric distributed application I thought that using 32-bits
machine would have reduced the ram consumption and the access speed. So
I developed some tests to be run on two identical servers, one running a
32-bits kernel and erlang, the other 64-bits.
And everything went fine, until I bumped into the "maximum heap size for
32-bit machines", which I was unaware of: when a mnesia table exceeds
3GB erlang crashes saying <<erlang eheap_alloc: Cannot allocate xxx
bytes of memory (of type "heap")>>.
In conclusion, for anyone wondering, I think I'm going 64.
Regards,
franz