HiPE performance gain (Was: Re: [erlang-questions] Erlang static linked interpreter)

Ciprian Dorin Craciun ciprian.craciun@REDACTED
Thu Jan 20 10:10:00 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 08:54, Bengt Kleberg <bengt.kleberg@REDACTED> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> This will not solve your main question, but instead try to help you the
> one that came up.
>
> If you want to know the performance gain from using HiPE you should
> measure the code execution time with and without HiPE.
>
> bengt

    I am perfectly aware that no technology is a silver bullet in all
circumstances, and that you have to benchmark a particular technology
in a particular case to see its effect.

    But in my original question (although I've not clearly stated so)
I was curios what is the impact of HiPE in general, meaning what is
the experience different people had with HiPE?

    More exactly what are the use-cases which are likely to benefit
from HiPE? I would guess that in a CPU bound application HiPE would do
better than without, but what about network I/O bound applications, or
applications that deal mainly with strings (represented as lists), or
applications that deal mostly with binary matching?

    Thanks,
    Ciprian.