[erlang-questions] Erlang project dependency management/build tools

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Tue Jan 18 22:20:04 CET 2011

You might also want to look at epm
(https://github.com/JacobVorreuter/epm) and sutro
(https://github.com/JacobVorreuter/sutro), which do similar stuff from
a package management point of view. Personally I use rebar for builds
because I only requires configuration where the 'default' OTP setup
needs to be overridden. Sometimes I've combined this with epm, as you
can see in a couple of builds:

The hamcrest-erlang build uses a combination of epm and rebar to make
sure dependencies are in place when building
(https://github.com/hyperthunk/hamcrest-erlang/blob/master/Makefile).
Another example where I've had to do this because rebar can't always
build packages that aren't following standard OTP principles and/or
require non-standard build steps (such as autoconf/autotools
integrations) is in this project stub:
https://github.com/hyperthunk/eventing-playpen/blob/master/Makefile.

Personally I'd recommend sutro now instead of epm, as the support for
pre/post build commands and ease of dependency management a la
homebrew make it very simple to use. Both take advantage of OTP design
principles in the same way rebar does. Neither requires that you
package, build or configure your application in any other way.