[erlang-questions] Running a regular expression on each line of a file

Dave Challis dsc@REDACTED
Tue Jan 11 11:28:32 CET 2011

Ah, thanks, io:get_line/1 makes more sense here.

I solved the problem in the end by adding a another clause to the case
statement:

Result = re:run(Text, Re, [{capture, all_but_first, list}]),
case Result of
     {match, Captured} ->
         io:format("~p ~p ~p~n", Captured);
     _False ->
         false
end,

It's still pretty slow to run though (~10 minutes to parse ~1 million
lines).  Interestingly enough, I tried removing the regex and just
passing the input out unchanged, and the whole thing still takes ~9m30s
to run, the bottleneck wasn't in the regex as I"d assumed.

I'm guessing that io:get_line is being pretty slow.  Is there a
preferred method for faster I/O?

--
Dave Challis
dsc@REDACTED