[erlang-questions] FPGA coming around the corner

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Sun Jan 9 15:25:16 CET 2011

On 7 Jan 2011, at 07:44, Edmond Begumisa wrote:

> But that's precisely what these advocates are warning their audiences about! That the *legacy apps and code will have to be re-written* in order to be parallelised for multi-core. That's what the panic is about. That these programs and libraries will need to be carefully re-coded using lots of threads, concurrent data structures and unfamiliar paradigms like "transactional boosting."
>
> The Herlihy's are effectively saying: "You will need to re-write you're apps and libs in order for your users not to complain that things are slower, and here's a bunch of tools you can use that we *hope* will make it a little easier. But it will still be pretty hard."

Actually achieving scalability on multicore is only one of the tough
challenges facing legacy software developers; *debugging* shared-
memory imperative applications on multicore is essentially a research
area.

BR,
Ulf W

Ulf Wiger, CTO, Erlang Solutions, Ltd.