[erlang-questions] SSL memory consumption

Hynek Vychodil hynek@REDACTED
Tue Jan 4 11:21:21 CET 2011

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 6:32 AM, Kaiduan Xie <kaiduanx@REDACTED> wrote:
> After tried two different ways to call ssl:transport_accept and
> ssl:ssl_accept, the following observation was found,
>
> 1. Calls ssl:transport_accept and ssl:ssl_accept in a server loop, and
> for each SSL connection, starts a gen_fsm to receive data. The code is
> listed as below,
>
> loop3(LSock) ->
>    {ok, Socket} = ssl:transport_accept(LSock),
>    ok = ssl:ssl_accept(Socket),
>    {ok, {PeerAddr, PeerPort}} = ssl:peername(Socket),
>    io:format("Accepted peer:~p:~p:~p:~p~n", [self(),PeerAddr, PeerPort, I]),
>    {ok, Pid} = gen_fsm:start(erlsip_transport_tls_connection,
> {Socket, PeerAddr, PeerPort}, []),
>    ssl:controlling_process(Socket, Pid),
>    loop3(LSock).
>
> 2. Calls ssl:transport_accept, and ssl:ssl_accept in a gen_fsm. Upon a
> SSL connection is accepted, starts another gen_fsm to accept new SSL
> connection. The code is listed as below.
>
> init({server, LSocket, Parent}) ->
>    {ok, wait_for_connection, #state{lsocket = LSocket,
>                                     parent = Parent}, 0};
> wait_for_connection(timeout, State) ->
>    io:format("Waiting for TLS connection ... ~p/~p~n", [self(), State#state.par
> ent]),
>    {ok, Socket} = ssl:transport_accept(State#state.lsocket),
>    ok = ssl:ssl_accept(Socket),
>    gen_fsm:start(erlsip_transport_tls_connection,
>                 {server, State#state.lsocket, State#state.parent},
>                  []),
>    {ok, {PeerAddr, PeerPort}} = ssl:peername(Socket),
>    io:format("Accepted peer:~p/~p:~p~n", [self(), PeerAddr, PeerPort]),
>    {next_state, wait_for_crlf_crlf, State#state{socket = Socket,
>                   peer_address = PeerAddr, peer_port = PeerPort}}.
>
> Memory consumption per connection in the second way is about 120 K
> with R14B01 while a connection takes about 30 K in first way.
>
> I am very happy with the result, but can someone explain the difference?
>
> Thanks,
>
> /Kaiduan

I'm just guessing but it can be GC issue. In first case you do all
those calls inside one process so all used structures inside loop3 can
be GCed. In second case you do this sequence always in new process and
when there are not future reductions (there is not any communication -
fsm doesn't work) this memory is not freed. Try add explicit GC to
your init/1 in second case and measure again.

> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 9:31 PM, Kaiduan Xie <kaiduanx@REDACTED> wrote:
>> I just replaced R14A with R14B01, each SSL connection consumes about
>> 120 K memory, 50K less than that of R14A.
>>
>> Thank Tony, Jesper for the help, can we reduce more?
>>
>> /Kaiduan
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Jesper Louis Andersen
>> <jesper.louis.andersen@REDACTED> wrote:

>>> SSL was replaced recently with a new implementation and you have the
>>> 'new' version here if you are on R14b
>>>
>>> --
>>> J.

--Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil

Analyze your data in minutes. Share your insights instantly. Thrill
your boss.  Be a data hero!
Try GoodData now for free: www.gooddata.com