[erlang-questions] About to languages

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Sat Jan 1 17:41:54 CET 2011

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 03:14:23 +1100, Gilberto Carmenate García
<co7eb@REDACTED> wrote:

> Erlang is so magic too,
> because we can do almost anything just with a bit of words

Erlang being my first functional language (I've always used imperative
languages), I'm beginning to see this. What Paul Graham and others have
tried to describe -- the expressiveness and terseness of functional
languages. Paul once made a case for learning Lisp (though he kind of
discarded it's usefulness in daily programming) by making an analogy with
English and Latin...

"..This is the same argument you tend to hear for learning Latin...
improve your mind, and make you a better writer in languages you do want
to use, like English..."

http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html

I think Erlang has the same effect, especially improving how one thinks
about concurrency and scalable design regardless of whether you are
writing C++ or JavaScript. After using Erlang for a little while, you
start to think about these things differently.

- Edmond -