[erlang-questions] gen_tcp:recv/3 timeout

Roberto Ostinelli roberto@REDACTED
Fri Dec 30 18:32:43 CET 2011

thank you klaar,

though there's something I don't like in the proposed solution: what if you
receive more than the intended original N bytes? there's the (un)famous
undocumented option gen_tcp:unrecv but i'd rather not use it, plus there
isn't an SSL equivalent for it.

storing the additional received bytes for later usage seems cumbersome, and
sometimes even unfeasible when considering that I'm often switching the
packet type and the active options of inet.

i was thinking to wrap the gen_tcp:recv/3 function around something that
re-calls it if it timeouts, but unfortunately when it does the returned
error {error, timeout} does *not* contain the bytes received up to that
point, which then get lost.

..anyone?