[erlang-questions] Continuous Integration and Release Management for Erlang projects

Thu Dec 22 10:21:29 CET 2011

On 12/22/11 1:13 AM, Zabrane Mickael wrote:
> I found *Travis CI* which seems to support Erlang:
> http://about.travis-ci.org/docs/user/languages/erlang/
>
> The *etorrent* project is already there:
> http://travis-ci.org/#!/jlouis/etorrent
> <http://travis-ci.org/#%21/jlouis/etorrent>
>
> I'd like to know if you could share your experience (*etorrent*) guys?

We have pretty good experience with it. There has been some bumps and
rocks thrown at us while using it, but it is alpha software, so expect
this to be a test drive rather than a "real" thing. Going forward, for
Open Source software, this is the right tool for the job. There is no
reason as to why you should keep your own infrastructure to do build
tests and such. The only nag I have is that it is somebody else who pays
for the resource usage at Amazon - when money is tied into free projects
like that, bad things tend to happen.

Before Travis CI, Magnus Klaar did a jenkins setup that also worked very
well for us.

Note also, that we do two things more w.r.t builds: We have an IRC
channel (#etorrent on Freenode) and in that channel there are two bots
lurking ... one from CIA which mentions all commits made to the github
repository and one that logs on from Travis whenever a build is either
passing or failing. That way, you have an easy backlog of project
developments present all the time in your IRC client. Persistent
presence in the channel is done by either running a long-running irssi
in a screen session on some machine, or by using the, rather excellent,
irccloud.com service.

--
Jesper Louis Andersen
   Erlang Solutions Ltd., Copenhagen, DK