[erlang-questions] hierarchical behaviour doesn't seem to work ?

Harald Welte laforge@REDACTED
Tue Dec 13 18:37:51 CET 2011

Hi!

I am trying to get some code to work, but I have the feeling that
hierarchical/netsted 'behaviour' doens't really work quite well.

Let's assume I want to defined a behaviour, which in turn is derived
from gen_server.  The name of the module is "my_behaviour".  It exports
the required "behaviour_info/1" function, and implements all the
gen_server call-backs.

Then, I'm creating an actual program, let's call it "client".
"client.erl" states "-behaviour(my_behaviour)" and implements the
required call-backs of my_behaviour.

However, now if the runtime delivers something like a gen_server method
such as gen_cast/gen_call, etc., it tries to call client:handle_cast()
instead of the my_behaviour:handle_cast().  And since
client:handle_cast() is not defined, it will crash the process.

Is this really the intended behaviour (sic) of behaviour?

To me, it seems most logical that you would want to implement levels of
common functionality in a behaviour, and "sub-class" a number of different
implementations off such a behaviour.  And since all of it should be OTP
compliant, that custom behaviour itself would  be based on some OTP
behaviour like gen_server, gen_fsm, etc.

Any comments?  Am I misunderstanding something here?  Thanks!
--
- Harald Welte <laforge@REDACTED>           http://laforge.gnumonks.org/