[erlang-questions] "Can't set long node name" on Ubuntu using erl -name without suffix

Daniel Dormont dan@REDACTED
Fri Dec 9 17:39:54 CET 2011

Hi everyone,

I am just now starting to get into using long node names in my Erlang
setup, running R14B02 on Ubuntu 11.10. Due to the way some of the
internal scripts for Ejabberd are written, it would be convenient if I
can start nodes using 'erl -name foo' without having to put anything
after the @ sign. On some of my machines this works fine, but on
others I get the error:

{error_logger,{{2011,12,9},{11,38,2}},"Can't set long node
name!\nPlease check your configuration\n",[]}

What does this mean and what can I do about it?

Dan