[erlang-questions] illegal guard expression for IF illegal guard expression for "if"

Daniel Dormont dan@REDACTED
Mon Dec 5 03:57:43 CET 2011

In my experience with Erlang so far, this is perhaps the weirdest
feature for me from a language standpoint. I understand the
motivations, but at least from where I sit, it's a weird mental leap
from there to "we allow these few functions, but not others." In fact,
not even all of the allowed functions are "pure" in the sense that,
say, a Haskell programmer would recognize. I'm specifically thinking
of node/0 and self/0. Still, I put this in the category of things not
to worry about, just accept and move on.

What are abstract patterns?

dan