[erlang-questions] Irish Erlang User Group

Paul Barry paul.james.barry@REDACTED
Fri Aug 26 18:41:39 CEST 2011

Well... not according to Ericsson's Athlone HR people... At a recent
undergraduate presentation, I ask how much Erlang they do in the
700-person Ericsson Software Development Centre located in the heart
of Ireland, and they looked at me as if I had two heads.  They only do
Java in Athlone - it's where their Operations Center client software
is created/maintained.

They went on to tell me that 60% of all of Ericcson's software
development is done in Athlone.  When I then suggested that the other
40% was Erlang and was done elsewhere (like in Sweden), the Ericsson
people told me - rather unbelievably - that they had never heard of
Erlang.  They only wanted Java programmers.

As you can imagine, that's when my conversation with them ended!  ;-)

Paul

--
Paul Barry, w: http://paulbarry.itcarlow.ie, e: paul.barry@REDACTED
Lecturer, Computer Networking: Institute of Technology, Carlow, Ireland.