[erlang-questions] ++ to select the head ( instead of just the tail )

Adams Christian christian.adams@REDACTED
Wed Aug 17 23:27:26 CEST 2011

Maybe dumb .. but why don't you just

RL = lists:reverse(List).
"654" ++ RTail = RL.
Head = lists:reverse(RTail).

Just my 2c ..

CA

Am 16.08.2011 um 13:23 schrieb James Churchman:

> The ++ operator is not just a righthand side operator, but can in fact be a lefthand side operator in as far as I can tell just 1 case :
>
> When you know the head you wish to remove and getting the tail :
>
> Eg in the shell:
>
> FullList = "123456".
> "123" ++ Tail = FullList.
> Tail wil now be "456"
>
> However using it to get the head is not supported :
>
> FullList = "123456".
> Head ++  "456" = FullList.
>
> gives : * 1: illegal pattern
>
> Understandably this second type involves traversing the entire list, where the first does not, but it would still be a nice addition to erlang.
>
> Was this not added as the first one expands out to simply [$1,$2,$3 | Tail] etc... but the second needs to expand to something more complex like an actual function the way list comprehensions do?
>
> James

CHRISTIAN ADAMS
Software Systems Engineer
Fon: +49 651 99554792
christian.adams@REDACTED

SOL VENETUS Software GmbH
Sebastian-Kneipp-Str. 2 - 86482 Aystetten - Germany
Fon: +49 170 7762480
Fax: +49 821 4865786
Geschäftsführer: Benjamin Hilbig
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Aystetten