[erlang-questions] Proper tool for parsing config

Antoine Koener antoine.koener@REDACTED
Fri Apr 29 14:26:48 CEST 2011

On Apr 29, 2011, at 14:03 , Jachym Holecek wrote:

> # Max Lapshin 2011-04-29:
>> I'm thinking about switching erlyvideo config from common proplist to
>> something like nginx config.
>
> I know this doesn't answer your real question, but: I think this is an
> extremely bad idea. Keeping configuration as simple Erlang terms that
> you can file:consult/1 on (and it's nowhere written it needs to be
> just
> a proplist!) is just so convenient that I don't see what could
> possibly
> motivate you to abandoning it... Besides, there's already way too many
> completely random & ad-hoc & lame & ugly configuration formats in the
> industry that are mutually incompatible and impossible to machine-
> process
> correctly and impossible to remember the right syntax for, why would
> you
> want to introduce yet another one?

I totally agree, but if you want, you can also make a converter
for 'horrible but widely used' config file format to erlang config.

Then I could still use erlyvideo with the erlang syntax but introduce
it to my friends whom
thinks that 'horrible but widely used'  format is really cool.