[erlang-questions] callback module without behavior definition?

Ryan Zezeski rzezeski@REDACTED
Sat Apr 23 05:34:23 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Daniel Goertzen
<daniel.goertzen@REDACTED>wrote:

> One thing that has bothered me about implementing gen_servers is that I
> have to create empty stubs for the callbacks that I don't need.  Today I
> made a gen_server that only needs init/1, so instead of creating all those
> stubs I just commented out the behavior definition "-behavior(gen_server)."

Daniel,

The _Erlang Programming_ book actually says **not** to implement callbacks
you don't need. (pp274)  I think that makes sense and is the advice I have
followed.  However, most people tend to implement all the callbacks even if
they don't use them for anything.  In fact, I think that's the recommended
way in _OTP in Action_.  So it seems not even the veterans can agree on this
topic.

-Ryan