[erlang-questions] Erlang beginner questions

Mode7James James@REDACTED
Wed Apr 13 21:14:08 CEST 2011

I'm starting to get it now.

Essentially creating a thin wrapper VM for a linked-in library is pretty
much the same thing as a port driver, right?  It basically creates a new
node, so functions are called by passing messages, which then we go back to
messages vs function calls.  Why re-create the wheel?  Is there a speed
difference between the two do you think, or should I stick with a port
driver?

If my physics node, using a port driver, crashes, is there an automated way
to bring it back and restart it without manually restarting it?  If not
through Erlang itself, has anyone developed an underlying C-based
application that runs as an overall supervisor?  Keeping track of VM's that
crash, and restarting as necessary?