[erlang-questions] Erlang beginner questions

Mode7James James@REDACTED
Wed Apr 13 20:50:57 CEST 2011

This is exactly they type of example I'm looking for, thanks Henning!  And
I've been thinking I should embed a scripting language like Lua for
developers extending things without modifying underlying code, so this is a
really great find, thanks.

So, just so I understand you correctly on the whole linked-in vs port driver
thing:

Each computer has one instance of the Erlang VM running.  Each VM can have
many processes.  Using a linked-in driver essentially treats that C module
as an extension of the Erlang VM itself, so if it crashes, so do all of the
processes that are running in that VM on the individual machine.  Does the
VM restart automagically, or does it require a manual restart?  Say it
crashes at 3a.m. does it require someone to come out and restart it and
start all of the nodes?

A port driver, on the other hand, is treated as a separate node.  If it
crashes, it is contained within that node.  It is slightly slower than a
linked-in driver though.  Is it fast enough to implement many messages per
second back & forth?  By saying it's not quite as fast as a function call
I'm assuming you mean a linked-in driver call, right?  Essentially a port
driver is probably best for implementing hardcore math many times per
second, right?

This is really cool by the way.  All of these questions I've had for quite a
while, searching Google for examples & such.  Thanks!

-James