[erlang-questions] Erlang beginner questions

Mode7James James@REDACTED
Wed Apr 13 19:59:10 CEST 2011

I read through this thread which sheds a little light on the subject:
http://erlang.2086793.n4.nabble.com/NIF-vs-Linked-in-Drivers-td2103764.html

Perhaps I'm not understanding this concept correctly.  Are you saying that a
linked-in driver is stable as long as there are no bugs in the native
library, ie if the native library has been tested, then it should be fine
and run with no issues?  Or, if say my physics library gets a billion things
all at once and decides to implode, so it crashes - does the whole computer
running this process crash as well?  Is there a way to segment it so that it
doesn't crash the whole system?  By "beam process" does it crash just the
process that is currently running the linked-in driver or the entire system?
>From what I thought, it would crash the entire system, ie the machine that
is running the Virtual Machine.

  Is there a better way to keep latency extremely low, sending and receiving
millions of variables on the same machine many times per second?  I'm
thinking of it like a box - the Physics box gets the current state &
velocities, figures out the new state, and returns the state back to Erlang,
which then takes things from there and delivers them to the appropriate
parties.

I understand and will be implementing things in Erlang at the start for
testing purposes, however I want to make my physics system modular and use a
library that can be installed both on the server and on the client, so what
is ultimately used for the various math-intensive things will need to be
written in a language like C++.  I've been planing on using Box2d and
Bullet, which can both be implemented on iOS, Android, Mac & PC, as well as
server-side.  Am I approaching this correctly?