[erlang-questions] Re: Using the -M dependencies generator of erlc

Matthew Sackman matthew@REDACTED
Mon Apr 4 12:14:50 CEST 2011

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 11:59:54AM +0200, Jean-Sébastien Pédron wrote:
> You're completly right. When I made the patch to add dependencies
> tracking (2007), I didn't knew about parse transform and totally forget
> the behaviours. I'll fix this when I have some spare time.

Cool. However, be very careful: some simple testing of mine over the
weekend shows that erlc -M needs the AST to get through the linter (and
other steps). If the source file depends on a parse transformer then
there's the possibility that whilst the AST of the source is formable,
it's entirely possible that without the parse transformer being run on
the AST, it won't get through subsequent stages of the compiler and make
it to the -M steps.

Thus I suspect the -M bits are in the wrong place and need to be move
much much higher up the chain, to a point pre any parse transformers or
anything like that has been run.

Best wishes,

Matthew