[erlang-questions] calendar now_to_universal_time/1 vs. universal_time/0

Nicholas Frechette zeno490@REDACTED
Mon Sep 27 21:35:22 CEST 2010

While we are on the subject, I am in possession of a rare laptop. The
motherboard is bad and while the computer is fully functional, the clock
sometimes goes backwards (when running as well as when booting, or waking up
from hibernation/sleep). I'm 100% positive it isn't a battery problem.
If the clock goes backwards, could this affect adversely a running erlang
application? You mentionned timers could get affected and erlang:now()?
It can sometime reverse by a few minutes, sometimes hours... and one time it
reversed several years (years before the physical manufacture of the
laptop...).
I've never really noticed bad behavior from winxp or ubuntu running on it
aside from the few times where the time difference was so big, weird things
would happen in respect with synchronization of applications.
Now obviously I'm not running anything mission critical on that time
traveling laptop but it would be nice to know the expected behavior for when
I'm doing development work on it.