[erlang-questions] How to analyse why (w)erl.exe is not starting?

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Mon Sep 27 17:24:48 CEST 2010

Is Windows Error Reporting enabled on the box?

My guess is that werl.exe/erl.exe are crashing before they've had a chance
to set up the emulator crash dump infrastructure (but hopefully after all
the dll loading is done) in which case a minidump might help.

If I'm not mistaken, the official windows OTP binary installer has a
sub-directory with debug versions of werl.exe/erl.exe and corresponding
symbol files (werl.pbg/erl.pdb). You could try copying these to your
server, then triggering the creation of a minidump using WER (which you
could copy from the temp directory before it's sent to Microsoft), then
finally analyse the call-stack using VS.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310414

(Don't know if WER configuration for win2k3 is the same as for XP)

- Edmond -