[erlang-questions] UBF(A) vs ETF / UBF(C) vs gen_fsm

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Sat Sep 25 12:39:43 CEST 2010

 I've been thinking ...

It would be really great if I could send messages from a browser
to erlang.

I want to add an extra button to firefox that when pressed
analyzes something about the current page and sends a message
to an erlang server.

I was reading about solvent

http://simile.mit.edu/wiki/Solvent

some quotes

" Interactively highlight parts of the page you wish to scrape,
directly in your browser, and obtain the right XPaths for them

  Edit and execute the scraper code directly in the browser, making
the development cycle fast and incremental

 Save and publish the scraper with the required metadata, so that
others can discover it

 ..."

This is *exacty* what I want to do - highlight some text in the
brower - as I release the mouse the highlighted text is sent
to and erlang server to be analysed and stored.

IMHO bookmarking a site is not interesting - it's some small fragment
on a page that interest me - I want to:

     a) highlight it
     b) edit the highlighted bit (ie throw me into an editor)
     c) store the edited result

(later I might even be able to "pre-read" a new page finding
what might be interesting for me in the page :-)

This is very generic - if I could isolate "analyze something about the
current page" into a convenient js module then I could do all sort of
fun things.

This seems to require a firefox plugin - any idea how to write this?

If I want to start a collaborative project where do I advertise for
smart javascript programmers who know the firefox internals.

The erlang stuff is easy :-) but the js is tricky - (and I guess this group is
not the best lace to ask js questions?)

(( where is the best group for this (ie js questions)))