UBF(A) vs ETF / UBF(C) vs gen_fsm

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Wed Sep 22 11:28:35 CEST 2010

Hello all,

I've been looking at Dr. Joe Armstrong's UBF with interest, especially for
IPC between two Erlang nodes over TCP (non-epmd) and possibly between an
Erlang node and a XULRunner client (JavaScript/XPCOM). I have two
questions for those with UBF experience...

1) Concerning UBF(A): Joe mentioned in his original paper that UBF(A)
encoding was more upto 40% more compact than the VM External Term Format.
But that was 8 years ago. I understand the external term format has
improved since then. Is UBF(A) still more compact?

2) Concerning UBF(C): If one is using gen_fsm server-side together with
UBF(A) over the wire, would I be correct in saying that the OTP behaviour
provides the contract checking that UBF(C) would provide? That is, would
using gen_fsm with UBF encoding for messages render the UBF(C) contract
checker redundant?

- Edmond -