[erlang-questions] ets vs list

Morten Krogh mk@REDACTED
Mon Sep 13 19:11:46 CEST 2010

Thanks. I just tried in the shell and saw that there were no new
processes after creating an ETS table. fine.

Surely, you could model ets with a process and message passing. Why
should it be slower? The only overhead should be the message passing.

So, I guess your benchmark might depend on the size of the key/value
pairs. For large values, the performance should be the same, for small
values the process might be a bit slower.

So, if we compare ets with dict or the process dictionary, then ets
should perform really badly on large values, it seems.

Suppose we have a giant list, that we store in the tables with some key,

If we want to traverse that list, dict and pd would start immediately,
whereas the list from ets would have to be copied before traversing
could start.

And after reading the list from ets it would have to be freed at the
next garbage collection, where as the dict and pd didn't generate any
garbage.

Morten.