Re-entrant CORBA services

Geoffrey Biggs geoffrey.biggs@REDACTED
Mon Sep 13 10:24:33 CEST 2010

Morning all,

I have a couple of tightly-interacting CORBA objects. It's a little too
tight for my tastes, but that's OO for you. The problem is that a call
to one service causes that service to block until a result is returned.
Several of the calls to object A require making calls to object B.

Unfortunately, one of the calls to object B requires its own calls back
to object A to finish (whether or not it succeeds). This means that
object B blocks waiting for object A to respond, while object A is
blocked waiting for object B to respond.

How have others solved this sort of interdependency? For the Erlang (not
using CORBA interfaces) equivalents of these objects, I just fired off a
third process that made the appropriate calls, then sent the result back
to the first object as an event. I can't find a way to do this for the
CORBA objects.

Geoff