[erlang-questions] Using ETS for large amounts of data?

Ryan Zezeski rzezeski@REDACTED
Tue Sep 7 15:58:23 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 12:59 AM, <jay@REDACTED> wrote:

> Ryan also noted excess memory usage with binary:split:
>
> I believe binary pattern matching is now preferred over split.  If you do
> create sub-binaries but do not want all of them, remember that none of the
> memory occupied by the underlying large binary can be reclaimed as long as
> the sub-binaries reference it.  If you filter the sub-binary list, you
> should make a new binary copy for each of the retained sub-binaries to
> allow the old large binary to be recycled.

AFAIK, the binary module was introduced in R14A.  In fact, I upgraded to
R14A just so I could make use of the binary pattern matching in this module.
 What I do with binary:split would take much more code with binary matching
(I think).  Maybe you were thinking of erlang:split_binary/2?

Anyways, I digress.  I don't want to hijack the original thread.  I'll post
a new thread later today.

-Ryan