[erlang-questions] couchdb performace 10x: using NIF for file io

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Wed Oct 27 21:13:26 CEST 2010

My and the OTP teams view in this matter is:

- Reimplementing standard functionality already written in C (but as a
driver and with asynch thread support) as NIFs is generally a bad
idea)
- Implementing potentially blocking function calls with NIFs is a bad idea.
- You should have VERY strong reasons for writing NIFs at all. It is a
big point in not writing anything in C if it can be avoided.
- The implementation of NIFs is more modern than the driver concept
and among other things the passing of data between Erlang and C-code
is more efficient for NIFs than for drivers. The driver concept does
still have its place and advantages especially for
handling external asynchronous input to Erlang processes. We plan to
improve the driver mechanisms and make solutions
from the NIFs to be available when writing drivers as well.

If it is correct that NIFs for file operations is 2 times faster than
the current file operations in raw mode we will do something about it
because that difference is not justified. But first we must
investigate if that really is the case and where the performance is
lost.

/Kenneth Erlang/OTP Ericsson