[erlang-questions] couchdb performace 10x: using NIF for file io

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Wed Oct 27 09:46:01 CEST 2010

Hi,

I hope the Couch team isn't planning on doing this by default -- something
about it makes me nervous...

When CouchDB is on it's own, it might not be alarming/noticeable, but I'm
using CouchDB "embedded" in a wider Erlang/OTP application stack (i.e.
where Couch is just one of many OTP apps running in the *SAME* VM -- I
have a few hacks for avoiding socket communication.) I too worry about the
potential for NIF-endowed couch io disturbing the balance of Erlang's
scheduling.

It would be good to see similar benchmarking with the VM concurrently
doing things other than handling couch-related requests (which are
implicitly synchronised in your case.)

- Edmond -